The Labor Working Group was officially chartered on 3/6/2018. It was previously chartered as a Lower Peninsula Branch WG on 11/27/2017.
As members of the Silicon Valley DSA, we propose the creation of a
Labor Working Group
which would report to the Silicon Valley DSA Chapter
to fulfill the Following Objectives:
- All workers in the Silicon Valley will be unionized with the eventual goal that all Silicon Valley companies will be controlled by workers.
- All Silicon Valley workers will have living and equitable wages, benefits, and protections.
- The demographics within each sector in tech will represent the demographics of the population at large.
- All individuals will have a job or other means to live and thrive.
using this initial strategy:Objective #1: All workers in the Silicon Valley will be unionized with the eventual goal that all Silicon Valley companies will be controlled by workers.
Objective #2: All Silicon Valley workers will have living and equitable wages, benefits, and protections
- Building solidarity between blue collar and white collar workers in tech and across industries and unions.
- Consciousness raising: encouraging tech workers to see themselves as workers and helping more people see unionization as an option.
- Protecting workers who are trying to organize from reprisals through advocacy for policy protections and solidarity actions.
Objective #3: The demographics within each sector in tech will represent the demographics of the population at large
Advocating for legislative solutions and unionization in order to guarantee the following for all Silicon Valley workers:
- Enforcement of the 40-hour work week for all salaried and hourly workers, with worker-driven, flexible, and predictable scheduling.
- End of at will employment.
Guaranteed worker benefits, including:
- Childcare for all
- Paid parental leave for all
- Living and equitable wages
- Adequate time off
- Mental and physical health protection in the workplace
- Advocating for a shorter work week.
- Advocating for socially guaranteed benefits, rather than benefits that are tied to employment.
Objective #4: All individuals will have a job or other means to live and thrive.
- Demanding that pre-existing unions (e.g. AFL-CIO) be more attentive to broader social issues.
Protecting marginalized groups within tech.
- Demanding that the hiring practices of tech companies are aimed at increasing diversity.
- Protecting worker rights in the face of increasing automation across industries.
to last until above objectives are met.
We anticipate that we will need to spend no special allotment of funds other than for meeting space and incidental expenses such as printing.
Membership is open to all Silicon Valley DSA chapter members.