The Housing and Development Working Group was officially chartered on 9/19/2017.
As members of South Bay DSA, we propose the creation of a
- Housing and Development Working Group, hereafter HDWG,
- which would report to the South Bay DSA Chapter.
- The HDWG will fulfill the following objectives:
- We will work to decommodify housing.
- We will work to achieve environmentally and financially sustainable development of transportation, housing, schools, and other communal uses of capital.
- We will work to prevent displacement while promoting policies to allow anyone regardless of class, race, identity to access housing, education, schools, and other communal uses of capital.
- using these initial strategies:
- Contact, build rapport with, and pressure local and state representatives. Two examples are attending and participating at meetings of local councils and the Rental Housing Committee of Mountain View.
- Support and advocate for local tenants groups and homeless advocacy groups as part of and in addition to a strategy of organizing residents.
- Develop strategies to make material improvements to housing and development including re-exploring public housing and public land trusts, working to drive down land prices, encouraging accessory dwelling units, developing innovating and disruptive solutions, developing and advocating for socialist transportation policies.
- Have discussions about socialist policies on education, transportation, and housing. Include internal and external education such as hearings, meetings, and workshops.
- On the way towards achieving our objectives, we will work for repealing policies such as Prop 13 or the Costa-Hawkins Act, and for the establishment of land value taxation.
- Work with unions as our preferred labor partners whenever possible.
- to last until the above objectives are met.
- We anticipate that we will need to spend no special allotment of funds other than for meeting space and incidental expenses such as printing.
- Membership is open to all South Bay DSA members.