The Justice Working Group was officially chartered on 7/14/2018.
As members of Silicon Valley DSA, we propose the creation of a
- Justice Working Group
- which would report to the Silicon Valley DSA chapter
- to radically transform the United States criminal justice system to align with a democratic socialist vision of justice. The system we envision has these features:
- Focuses on rehabilitation, rather than retribution.
- Addresses the underlying social factors that influence crime, especially poverty and racism, rather than solely responding to individual criminal acts.
- Publicly funded, with no for-profit motives.
- Applied fairly and without discrimination on the basis of class, race, gender, sexuality, immigration status, ability status, or any other axis of oppression.
- Acknowledges and redresses the damage it has done, especially towards already marginalized communities.
- Local communities actively participate in developing and enacting the policies and procedures that affect them.
- to obtain justice for and support the well-being of individuals and communities harmed by the current system of policing and mass incarceration, especially in the Silicon Valley area.
- using these initial strategies:
- Supporting and campaigning for elected officials and legislation that align with our goals.
- Supporting initiatives that protect those harmed by the system, such as the Rapid Response Network. Creating and continuing initiatives that do the same, such as brake light clinics.
- Building coalitions with local, statewide, and national organizations that share our goals.
- to last until the above objectives are met.
- We anticipate that we will need to spend $30 per month for the following kinds of expenses:
- Outreach materials: signs, signup sheets, leave-behind flyers
- Canvassing support: water and snacks for canvassers
- Meeting spaces (for strategy meetings, public events, and canvass kickoffs)
- Membership is open to all Silicon Valley DSA members.