- This event has passed.
Socialists Speak Easy (Public Speaking Club – San Jose)
March 13 at 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
With the advent of the Internet, your voice can now reach millions instantly–for better or worse. Skills that once only concerned newscasters and celebrities, can define anyone who is caught off-guard at a rally.
This public speaking club is open to all activists (and future candidates) who want to better communicate our shared human values. Styled after Toastmasters, meetings will give two or more participants a chance to workshop their prepared 5-minute speeches, and give everyone various ways to practice impromptu speaking, adapted to the needs of participants. Each meeting will also select functionaries, as follows:
- Timer, to report on speech durations.
- Ah Counter, to count filler words such as uh, um, so.
- Orwell of the Day, to note uses of both excellent and politically-polluted language (e.g. “both sides”), with special mind paid to the Silicon Valley Democratic Socialists of America style guide and Orwell’s essay “Politics and the English Language.”
Speakers will have a chance to receive feedback and work on focus areas such as organization, body language, vocal inflection, and impact and memorability. First time speakers are encouraged to begin by introducing yourself and your journey.
Go to tinyurl.com/sb-speech-form if you would like to sign up for a meeting role.
- Accessibility: The meeting room is on the 1st floor, there is a wheelchair lift to access the 1st floor behind the building past the gate.
- Childcare: Provided on request. Please let us know beforehand at email@example.com.
- Parking: Parking on the street after 6pm is free. 4th St parking lot (4th st. & San Fernando) and the SJSU Student Services Center (9th st & San Fernando) both charge $5 flat-rate parking after 6pm and are 2-3 blocks away from the peace & justice center.
- Bathroom information: The peace & justice center has a wheelchair accessible, all-gender bathroom.
This event is co-sponsored by the San Jose Peace and Justice Center