- This event has passed.
DSA Libertarian Socialist Caucus – Reading group discussion circle
January 29, 2020 at 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Short URL: https://siliconvalleydsa.org/?p=4542
This Cycle we are reading:
- Organization for a Free Society Publishing Committee- Create Two, Three, Many Parties of Autonomy!
- Black Rose/Rosa Negra, Road of the Revolutionary Organization
- Revolution in the Air, Max Elbaum excerpt on Envisioning the Vanguard
- The Party and Class, Anton Pannekoek
Readings can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bJoAP_ozGfOLJzVB29zP2T8lw6pQ8_LR
Many libertarian leftists have warmed up to the idea of creating a party for organizing, to centralize certain functions and coordinate actions. These readings intend to help readers examine the idea of “the party” from a libertarian socialist perspective. For context, there’s a history of “the party” from the German SPD to Leninism to Maoism and Stalin, a classical text on the role of the party, and then two contemporary libertarian socialist/anarchist organizations that still believe such a party structure is useful.
Full voting breakdown here:
You can find a more detailed description of the reading groups here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BirkOo5gkpbJizGOKrqEFA3Zbg9luoelHJFyWNXn-3c/edit
The reading period lasts from January 13 – January 25, and the reading groups will be scheduled on the weeks of Jan 26- Feb 1.
Zoom call-in info:
Silicon Valley DSA is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: DSA Libertarian Socialist Caucus – Reading group discussion circle
Time: Jan 29, 2020 07:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 990 504 051
One tap mobile
+12133388477,,990504051# US (Los Angeles)
+14086380968,,990504051# US (San Jose)
Dial by your location
+1 213 338 8477 US (Los Angeles)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 669 219 2599 US (San Jose)
+1 602 753 0140 US (Phoenix)
+1 720 928 9299 US (Denver)
+1 971 247 1195 US (Portland)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 651 372 8299 US
+1 786 635 1003 US (Miami)
+1 253 215 8782 US
+1 301 715 8592 US
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 470 250 9358 US (Atlanta)
+1 646 518 9805 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 990 504 051
Find your local number: https://us04web.zoom.us/u/fB8mzRNFV
- Transit information: The San Jose Peace & Justice Center is one block north from San Jose State University and two blocks east from San Jose City Hall. There are six bus stops within two blocks of SJ P&J Center (lines 17, 22, 23, 63, 64, 65, 72, 73, 81, 522). See the VTA regular bus service schedule. Diridon Caltrain station is a 16 block, 28 minute walk from the SJ P&J Center. See the Caltrain weekend schedule.
- Directions to Room: If you’re entering from the front, the room is immediately toward your right. If you’re entering from the rear parking lot, head straight toward the front of the space and the room will be on your left.
- Wheelchair accessibility: The meeting room is on the 1st floor. There is a wheelchair lift to access the 1st floor behind the building past the gate.
- Childcare: We may be able to provide childcare on request for this meeting. Please reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Carpooling: We may be able to connect you to carpooling. Please contact us at email@example.com.
- Parking: Some parking is available behind the Peace and Justice Center. Parking on the street after 6pm is free. 4th St parking lot (4th st. & San Fernando) and the SJSU Student Services Center (9th st & San Fernando) both charge $5 flat-rate parking after 6pm and are 2-3 blocks away from the Peace & Justice Center.
- Bathroom information: The Peace & Justice Center has a wheelchair accessible, all-gender bathroom.
- Language: At this time the event is planned to be held in English without translation into another spoken offered by the organizers.