- This event has passed.
Labor Movie Night
July 27, 2019 at 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Short URL: https://siliconvalleydsa.org/?p=3392
The decline of unions and labor activism means many of our images and attitudes are shaped through its depiction in media. We will be screening three episodes of network TV to compare and discuss!
Superstore – Labor
Cheyenne is having her baby in the store but won’t stop working because Cloud9 doesn’t offer paid maternity leave. To help her, Jonah proposes a walkout.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – Bar Association
Unfair working conditions and pay cuts cause Rom to organize a union of the employees of Quark’s Bar. Meanwhile, Worf still finds it hard to settle on the station.
The Simpsons – Last Exit to Springfield
“Last Exit to Springfield” is the seventeenth episode of The Simpsons’ fourth season. It originally aired on the Fox network in the United States on March 11, 1993. The plot revolves around Homer Simpson becoming president of the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant’s trade union and leading the workers of the plant in a strike in order to get their dental plan back.
- Transit information: The San Jose Peace & Justice Center is one block north from San Jose State University and two blocks east from San Jose City Hall. There are six bus stops within two blocks of SJ P&J Center (lines 17, 22, 23, 63, 64, 65, 72, 73, 81, 522). See the VTA regular bus service schedule. Diridon Caltrain station is a 16 block, 28 minute walk from the SJ P&J Center. See the Caltrain weekend schedule.
- Directions to Room: If you’re entering from the front, the room is immediately toward your right. If you’re entering from the rear parking lot, head straight toward the front of the space and the room will be on your left.
- Wheelchair accessibility: The meeting room is on the 1st floor. There is a wheelchair lift to access the 1st floor behind the building past the gate.
- Childcare: We may be able to provide childcare on request for this meeting. Please reach out at email@example.com.
- Carpooling: We may be able to connect you to carpooling. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Parking: Some parking is available behind the Peace and Justice Center. Parking on the street after 6pm is free. 4th St parking lot (4th st. & San Fernando) and the SJSU Student Services Center (9th st & San Fernando) both charge $5 flat-rate parking after 6pm and are 2-3 blocks away from the Peace & Justice Center.
- Bathroom information: The Peace & Justice Center has a wheelchair accessible, all-gender bathroom.
- Language: At this time the event is planned to be held in English without translation into another spoken offered by the organizers.