- This event has passed.
Debt Collective Teach-In
October 22, 2018 at 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Short URL: https://siliconvalleydsa.org/?p=1811
The SV DSA Healthcare Working Group is hosting DSAers from Debt Collective for a teach-in, along with our comrades from DSA Peninsula!
Debt Collective is a network that offers free tools to help people challenge their debt, including medical debt. Often, the barrier isn’t that debts can’t be challenged – it’s knowing that they can be, knowing how, and getting through the steps.
Today most of us are in debt. No matter how much we work or how hard we try to get ahead, we are barely getting by. We are struggling to get out from under student debt, medical debt, payday loans, housing debt, criminal justice debt, credit card debt, and more. For too long, we’ve experienced these debts in fear and isolation, while others get rich off of our monthly payments.
The Debt Collective is here to say, no more!
This training is intended to help our chapter become teachers of these tools, so that we can incorporate this into our work on related issues like Medicare For All or universal education. Chapters like New Orleans DSA have done this to great effect – let’s get to work!
- Transit information: First Baptist Church is an approximate 5-10 minute walk from the California Avenue Caltrain Station. See the Caltrain weekday schedule.
- Parking: Available streetside.
- Carpooling: We may be able to connect you to carpooling. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Childcare: We may be able to provide childcare during this event. Please reach out to email@example.com.
- Directions to the room: we will be in the Fellowship Hall of First Baptist Church. This is the northeast wing, not the main sanctuary or office wing. The direct entrance is across the street from South Ct. There is a wheelchair-accessible entrance in the courtyard, which will take you to the office wing. The Fellowship Hall is down the hall and to the right.
- Wheelchair accessibility: this is a ground floor, wheelchair-accessible space with an accessible bathroom.
- Bathroom information: The main bathroom next to the Fellowship Hall is non-gendered, private, and wheelchair-accessible.
- Amplified sound: We will provide amplified sound for this meeting.
- Language: At this time the event is planned to be held in English without translation into another spoken or sign language offered by the organizers. (This is an issue of capacity, and we would like to expand our services in the future.)
Questions? Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org! We hope to see you soon.